Monday, November 23, 2009

Haiti Bound

Well, it's official. BOTH Mike and I are off to Haiti in January. There is no way Mike can stay home with Caden and not travel to Haiti. We have tried and tried to fight and reason our way out of both of us traveling but the judge will not agree. So, we will put everything in God's hands and hope Caden (and Preston) will be just fine while we are gone. This means coming up with plans and back up plans for Caden as only Mike and I know how to change out his site for his insulin pump. So, it's time to get creative and figure out who and how we can get everyone comfortable with his care. First attempt will be Grandma/Papa, and Aunt Robyn or Meredith as backups. Hopefully, between the four of them, they can get the site changed without too much trouble. It is very complicated and if they do it wrong, very painful for Caden, so we'll start practicing soon.

It is exciting that Mike will get to meet Avery but I am sure we won't totally relax while we are there because we'll be worried about the boys at home. But, it's something we have to do at this point or drop out of adopting Avery altogether which I can't imagine doing at this point.

Does anyone else fee like their head is spinning?! Between planning this trip, booking flights (haven't done that yet!), making sure we get shots/meds we need to travel, Preston's birthday, Christmas shopping, completing a huge portfolio for work (that I haven't started yet....and it's due in a week), my head is spinning out of control! I don't know where to begin!

Saturday, November 7, 2009

Out of the darkness

Our file has officially found its way out of the deep, dark hole called IBESR. We are elated to FINALLY be out, but it's mixed feelings because there are so many more moutains to climb. However, trying to be optimistic and hoping that we will not spend 14 months any where else like we did IBESR. My friends have asked, what is IBESR? I honestly don't really know. I think someone reads through our file and approves our family to adopt? But, I can't figure out how that would take soooo long since we had a homestudy done that cost close to $2000 (and has now expired..uggh.) So, in IBESR is someone basically studying the homestudy? For 14 months? It's a still a mystery to me!

I know there are still a few families that have been stuck in IBESR longer than us, and I have a really good feeling they will be released very soon as well. It seems like the gates are finally opening and IBESR has momentum right now. I am hoping this is true for all the families and kids waiting.

Next up? I think it's Parquet. I say "I think" because I haven't looked at the steps since way back when we decided to adopt. We have been taking it just one step at a time. We are still trying to figure out how we can satisify the judge and sign that infamous notebook in Haiti, while somehow feeling at ease about leaving our boys at home. Caden is our diabetic and although he is now 8 and not a toddler anymore, his care can be very routine or very choatic depending on the moment/day. This makes not only us, but our family members who would be caring for him very nervous. One of the many reasons we chose Haiti was the comfort and satisfaction of not having both parents out of the country at the same time. So much for that!

Anyway, all in all it was a great email to wake up to this morning!! Never thought I would see the day as it was starting to feel so hopeless! We are so thankful!

Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Please let me come home...

My family is missing me!

Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Avery at the O