BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Thursday, October 21, 2010

The Reality


This blog has focused mainly on Avery and bringing her home from Haiti. It was a way that I could feel like some sort of progress was being made when our adoption stood still for 2 years. Posting updated photos we occassionally received from her orphanage, or posting the smallest tidbit of news, made all the difference when we continued to wait and wait.


Suddenly, she literally flew into our world without but a weeks warning after the earthquake hit Haiti. Everything was a whirlwind, and to some extent continues to be. And, through that chaos the boys have remained calm, loving and my rocks. They accepted Avery as their sister from the moment she stepped her little toe into our home. I expected some sort of reaction like "she doesn't seem like our sister" or "we just met her, so how can she be our sister?" but we never got any of that. And, much to my surprise, we continually heard "I love Avery" and "Avery is the cutest little girl in the world!" Now, that time has passed, and she has found ways to press their buttons, I am not hearing those statements as often, but the love that is there is stronger than I imagined it to be at this point.


Adopting has not been easy. Accepting a stranger (I had only met Avery once for 3 days and Mike never) as our own was definitely something neither of us had ever experienced before. The love was different than it was (as expected) after giving birth to our boys, and we both struggled (or still struggle) with how it felt or feels "different." I think we were both caught off guard about how we felt once Avery was here, and we felt overwhelmed with all that had changed in our family. Adopting is not easy and admitting that is not easy either, it's hard to do. Sometimes I feel like people are thinking "Well...you're the ones that signed up for this!" and therefore we might be reluctant to express the reality of adoption. I am sure it's easier for some families than others, but I will venture to say that all families go through adjustments they couldn't predict until they were in the midst of the experience.


As the months have passed, Avery has become a part of our family. Are we still adjusting? Yes, of course. It's like when you bring a new born baby home and all you picture are cuddles, cooing and cute baby booties. And, no one talks about how you feel when you're sleep deprived, when your baby is screaming for hours on end, and how much your lives will be completely changed forever. Same thing goes for adoption. There have been days, where I think "did we do the right thing?" It was so easy before as a family of four. Having a toddler arrive unexpectedly from a third world country, who doesn't speak any language, requires lots of extra attention, takes a ton of patience (still working on that!) is very overwhelming.


Anyway, not really sure where I am going with this post....but one thing I do know is how the children, our children, have come through this experience seemingly unscathed. All three...Avery, Caden, and Preston. Have they had to make adjustments, had lows/highs, argued and cried? Yes. But overall, the three of them relate to one another as if they had have been siblings for years. The boys never go to bed without first going to Avery's room and kissing her goodnight. If Avery looks sad, they are not going to rest without asking her what's wrong. Big brother Caden likes to protect her, and Preston likes to tell on her....typical sibling stuff.


I guess it's just so interesting to watch their relationship grow and learn from how well children adapt to new situations. I find myself easily stressed out and distracted by the little things, over analyzing everything, when really I should take a deep breath and just look at those 3 beautiful faces and know that everything is just as it should be.


4 comments:

Beth Cotell said...

Tracy - Thanks for your honesty. It is so easy to look at blogs where only the good things are posted and think "Wow! Everyone is perfect except me and my family!"

Now that you are home with Avery and are settled into your routines, I will continue to pray for you guys. I guess I stopped doing that once she came home and that's probably when I should have started praying even harder for you!

Know that you ARE doing the right thing. God has instructed us to take care of the widows and orphans. You and your family will continue to be truly blessed because you have listened to him and done as he has told you.

Kathy Cassel said...

Adding children to your family is never easy. I still find myself thinking, "What have we done?" and they are our 4th and 5th adopted children. I find myself thinking that life was much "easier" (ha) before and that Jasmine would have been the youngest child, but then I remind myself that the twins belong in our family. I just try not to think about how many years of parenting I just added : )

Kathy adoptive mom ..hopefully said...

We have also struggled with the reality of this adoption. Saraphina is a joy and a terror in the same minute. We just keep plugging telling her we love her and staying the discipline course. I would not change a thing except maybe having a bit more time to get the house and kids ready for her arrival...It is nice to see other families are also having challenges and working through them.

Bill and Christina said...

It is an adjustment that is for sure. It is a lot of work too. But in the end when I lay my head down at night I truly feel the blessings of their presence in my life wash over me and it makes it all worth it!