BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Thursday, October 14, 2010

The Sisterlocks Experience




An experience it was. First of all, we had to be there at 8am. So we rushed to get there on time, and I had forgo my Starbuck's because we had no time to stop. (And, I had to go empty the ATM on the way as they only take cash.) Monique was running late, (I could of gotten my coffee afterall) and as soon as we got there I realized I forgotten to bring something for me to read or do. UGH. I thought I would sit and read for 5 hours while Avery got her hair done. So I was madder than mad that I showed up empty handed. Yeah right. I didn't sit down for the entire 5 hour appt. I got to stand in one spot and hold Avery's head still (or try to) for five hours straight. My lower back started to ache, my arm started to shake (and will be sore tomorrow) and we had Dora blaring on the TV. Not exactly what I had in mind.


First three hours went well, although slow going. I kept eyeing the clock and looking at the progress and it seemed as if we would not finish by 1pm. Those locks take FOREVER to put in. You can read more them here. Avery sat somewhat still although I had to entertain her and/or feed her constantly. She ate 3 lollipops, 1 pack chewies (not only did we spend a lot of money on hair, I was also gearing up for spending a bunch of money on filling her cavities), 1 banana, 1/2 PB sandwich, 1 cereal bar and 1/2 Egg McMuffin. She played with books, her toy computer, silly bands, stickers, and my phone. All of which completely failed to interest her after the 4th hour. But, still, pretty darn good for a three year old.


Avery showed the stylists some Iphone photos of her with bead/braids in that I did in the past. Let's just say they had no comment. Even the lady next to us who was getting her hair re-tightened giggled a little.


I also learned we have to treat her locks/scalp with Seabreeze. This suprised me so I asked "The stuff you wipe on your face?" And yes, that's the stuff. Strange! We also bought some special spray they use at the salon and we can't wash her hair or get it wet until we go back around Thanksgiving! By next summer, her hair will be able to get wet. Not sure why it can't get wet now, but I didn't want to ask too many more stupid questions.


All in all I am pleased with the results. I knew what they would look like beforehand because we did our research online and Monique (the stylist) has Sisterlocks. Personally, I am not in love with the look of Sisterlocks (in comparison to her Afro poof hair) but it's much more practical and healthier for her hair. It will not break or get damaged and once it grows we can pull it up in pigtails, braid it, put beads on, etc. For now, it just looks a little crazy and free, but she's only 3 and it looks cute and quirky. Or, as Preston says "She looks like she has a bunch of noodles on her head!"

4 comments:

Kathy Cassel said...

I would have been crazy after five hours!! After two hours!!!! It's cute and if it saves constantly doing beads, then it's worth it. Probably washing it would pull them back out??? What if her hair starts to stink from not washing it?

Bill and Christina said...

Wow! That is a long time! But you will be lovin' it when you don't have to do it:) Looks great!

Jodie said...

I think it looks darling on her! I would love to do that on Esther, but we can't afford that right now. I don't know why you can't get it wet right now. Interesting.

Stephanie said...

She looks adorable!