BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Thursday, July 2, 2009

Desperate or what?


Got another photo (thanks, Katy!) from someone who went on the mission trip a couple weeks ago. That's Avery behind the little boy! Obviously not a great shot, but we are desperate for any glimpse we can get these days! The next mission trip is in a couple weeks. I am getting a little depressed that I am not going this time around. I sure hope I can make it work in the fall. I need to hug our little girl soon!!

Caden got a new insulin pump yesterday and he loves it. It is the Minimed Paradigm 722 covered in a NY Yankee Skin. He loves the new pump so much he doesn't want to go to the pool today because he would have to take it off! I am sure the newness will wear off by the end of today, but it's funny to see a kid love being diabetic for a day due to his new gadget! We really switched pumps because we wanted the continuous montoring sensors that can be added to this brand of pump, that show blood sugars every second without having to even prick his finger!! It is amazing...BUT...my insurance denied us because they said his blood sugars weren't low enough to cause danger to others. HUH? He has had at least five readings in the 40's just this week, and insurance says that's not low. (Normal blood sugar is around 100.) If we decide to buy out of pocket, it's $1000 to get started and $350 every couple weeks....but the sensors are so awesome they are almost worth going broke!

Apparently, he needs to have a seizure or be unconscious to get approved. Rediculous.

5 comments:

kayder1996 said...

Love that you need to be in grave danger before you can qualify for a medical device; let's choose not to prevent a more expensive medical event like a hospital stay due to a seizure or accident. Crazy world!

Tammie said...

What a great smile on his face. How comforting it must be to see him. What a cutie!

Kathy Cassel said...

Yikes. Seems like no one wants to pay for prevention when it cost so much more to fix things later.

Katy said...

I am sorry you are depressed..I don't blame you.=( I hope at least some better photos where Avery is actually the subject ;) will help. But what would help even more is for IBESR releases....right? I am praying you get to go in the fall...
That is crazy about the insurance not covering what your son needs....just AWFUL! My mom is having the same problem getting a critical ankle surgery...to help her WALK. Insane.

Beth Cotell said...

Insurance companies make no sense to me. I hope you can convince them to cover him.

My only problem with the monitor is that it's covered in a NY Yankees skin. Ewww!!!!! Go Red Sox! :)