BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Thursday, September 9, 2010

Yarn Braids












Kayla over at Our Mixed Blessings, gave me the idea of trying yarn braids on Avery's hair. Avery's hair is thin and breaks so easily, it's seems like it never grows any longer and I was getting frustrated. I was hesitant to try yarn braids (basically hair extensions using yarn) because I think it makes her look way older than her age. But, after battling her hair all week, I decided it was worth a try.

So after searching at 3 different stores for plain black yarn (who knew Hancock Fabrics doesn't sell yarn? and the local knitting store doesn't carry plain black?) we gave it a shot. Took 5 hours to get them in. Avery is such a good girl when she gets her hair done. She sat and played with toys from 5-10p. We did take a couple stretch breaks. And I think she ate 15 popcicles.


Instead of leaving her hair down, I pulled the extensions up into 4 pig tails. Overall, they came out pretty good. I have been putting a silk scarf on her head at night to limit the fuzziness in the morning, but I am already seeing a little bit starting after day 2. I am hoping to at least leave them in for 2 weeks. Avery seems to enjoy all the beads in her hair and the noises they make when she walks!

2 comments:

Beth Cotell said...

5 hours??? Oh my! Sarah will barely let me brush her hair in the mornings. Avery must have lots of patience - and you too!

They look adorable! I hope they last for you.

Trina said...

Woah, I had NO IDEA that type of braid had yarn in the middle! Crazy to think she has extenstions at not quite 3! They do look terrific, though, even if they don't last.