BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Thursday, November 18, 2010

DMB in Buckhead


I didn't figure out the surprise trip ahead of time and it turned out GREAT! We ended up at the Dave Matthews Band Concert in Buckhead, Georgia. Mike had to attend a work related meeting there so it worked out to combine the concert into that. On the way there, he hinted at where we were going. I said, "I sure hope we are not heading to a concert!" as I had pictured myself lounging by a pool sipping on a margarita at a spa all day. A concert didn't sound at all relaxing (I have nightmares of attending a Van Halen Concert with him and not getting my hearing back for a week.) But, once it sunk in I was really looking forward to it. Especially since we hadn't been to a DMB concert since college and he is not touring next year.


We ate dinner at Dante's Down the Hatch which has an old pirate ship interior complete with a real crocodile swimming around the tables. The food is fondue style which is my favorite. It was good, a little overpriced, but that's how those fondue places are. We could walk there from our hotel (the Ritz-Carlton....more on that in a second) and also walk to the MARTA which we took to the concert.


So, when we checked into our original hotel, they asked us if we would move 2 blocks down the road because they had overbooked. At first we said, naaa, don't think so as we were already running a bit late and wanted to get settled in. But as the manager explained it would be a free night and at the Ritz-Carlton. Oh, well, now that's different! So we easily accepted that offer. Now, he did fail to mention just parking our car at the Ritz was $32 a night and ordering a hamburger and side salad would cost $43, but at least our room was FREE. I had no idea what it costs to stay there but I looked it up online and the rates are $389-$2700 per night. It is a five diamond place. I personally thought our room smelled weird, but supposedly it's one of top 25 hotels in the entire country. I wouldn't ever pay $389 to stay there but apparently someone does.


It was awesome to get away for the night (thanks again to Grandma) and she said the boys had perfect behavior. Avery was probably Avery, but she is only 3 so she can get away with it for now! :) Came home to Preston wiping out down our neighbor's driveway on his bike. Back to reality in a hurry!

2 comments:

Kathy Cassel said...

That much per night. Jeeeesh. Guess people with 8 kids don't stay there. I was just griping that our Orlando hotel was $72 because I didn't have enough points for a free night : )

Beth Cotell said...

Sounds like a great time!!! How nice of Mike to plan a surprise for you!