BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Thursday, November 6, 2008

Haiti Trip Nov 2008


I arrived home from Haiti at midnight last night. It's hard to know where to start, to describe the trip. It was a whirlwind. We arrived Sunday afternoon, and checked in at the hotel. Then we went to the orphange and visited and picked up our kids. Some ran right to their parents, some screamed, some just looked confused! Avery (Estherline) was a little confused and only screamed a handful of times. She was so sweet, shy and a little skinnier than I would have liked. She came right to me but definitely had a look of confusion for quite a while! It was so amazing to hold her and cuddle with her. The first night she slept for 15 hours straight and never made a peep!


The next morning, I went to sign the I600 at the Consulate office. All went very smoothly. Then we took a tour of some of the areas the kids came from. Very eye opening. Families live in concrete block "shanties" and many had no roofs. There was garbage everywhere. They all have so little. Everyone we encountered was so friendly and we were always safe.

I have a lot of photos to go through and videos. I didn't spend as much time at the O as some, so I don't have photos of all the little ones. I do have a lot of photos of the older kids.

It was so sad to give her back, I had to hide in my room for a little while to collect myself. But, the nannies love all the kids and I know she'll be safe until I can return.

8 comments:

Salzwedel Family said...

I'm glad you had a wonderful trip and can't wait to see more pictures.

Kathy Cassel said...

Sorting through the emotions afterwards can be a bit overwhelming. I'm glad the trip went well.

Bill and Christina said...

Can't wait to see all your pictures and hear your thoughts. I am glad that you enjoyed your trip.
Christina

Jodie said...

I can't wait to see your photos, too! You'll process this trip for days, weeks -- even in your sleep. Some things will never leave you.

I'm so glad you got to spend time with Avery!!!

Stephanie said...

Can't wait to hear more! Your little girl is absolutely precious.

Beth Cotell said...

I am so glad your trip went smoothly and that you have returned home safely!

I just looked at all the pictures. I love the one where you are holding Avery!

What's next in this process?

Tracy said...

We wait to get out of IBESR (where they compile her social history) We can be in there for another month to 8 months...then there are a bunch of other lengthy steps ahead of us...so she'll come home HOPEFULLY within the next 8-10 months.

Katy said...

Welcome home!!! I bet your heart is aching for Avery, right?