BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Thursday, January 28, 2010

How she is doing so far...

We are amazed at how well Avery is adjusting to life here in NC! I am almost afraid to type it in fear it might take a 360 degree turn after I do. But, we have had really NO major issues so far. She is still beyond terrified of the dog, but did manage to walk by the cat this morning without crying. She is sleeping pretty well and naps during the day. She will eat most anything we put in front of her, except meat. She absolutely loves to play with other kids and loves to play catch with daddy or her brothers.

The only thing we are concerned about right now is her speech, or lack thereof. But, from what I am understanding this is quite normal and will come over time. She will laugh and imitate noises, but we haven't really heard her say any real words for the most part. She was also deathly afraid of the doctor's office...screamed through xrays, etc. Can't imagine how vaccinations are going to get done.
We already turned in our "stool" collection kit (I won't elaborate on how I had to collect the sample) and dropped it off to the doctor. So we are awaiting news of what cooties are living in her belly. The wound or sore on her head is almost all gone already and so is her cold! She hasn't itched at all, so I am assuming she doesn't have scabies right now. She had them when I visitied in Haiti but it was so obvious she scratched herself non-stop.
Avery loves to look at books, comb her babydoll's hair with a plastic spoon (I know, we need to get her a baby brush) and wear sunglasses.
So that's where we are at right now. I am hoping she stays on this course and continues to be the happy little girl we are enjoying so much!
Hoping to post photos this weekend! From what I am hearing, we might actaully have some "Avery in her first snowfall" photos! :)

8 comments:

Lisa said...

Im so happy that she is doing well..and continues too..I'm so happy for you that she is home!! I am excited for the snow as well.Out 6 adopted kids that are in my church family haven't seen snow yet...so this is going to be so much fun for them and for your family...Keeping the prayers coming..

Major Mom said...

hey there...i have been following your blog and just wanted to let you know how happy i am your baby girl is HOME! we have an adopted daughter from Ethiopia who was 19 months when we brought her home and she basically went completely mute for about 3 months while she lost her Amharic and picked up English. We had her evaluated for speech and she came back totally normal, and now a year later I can say she has the normal language of a 2 year old. and I feel you on the stool collection kit...i still cannot get it out of my mind a year later...blech!

Mama said...

She is beautiful, as is all your family! The boys are going to have so much fun with their new princess! Congratulations and thanks for sharing your story!

Cecily said...

Great news. I also wouldn't be surprised by her lack of speech. Think how our own kids go silent in uncomfortable situations - and that's in their own country, surrounded by a language they are used to. Hope everything continues to go as smoothly.

Beth Cotell said...

I am so glad to hear how well she is doing. I can't wait to see the pictures and I will continue to pray for a smooth transition for Avery and the rest of your family.

And I think a blog post on stool collection techniques would be hilarious! :)

Trina said...

Xrays, huh? Is that to check for any prior breaks? Give a lollypop during vaccinations. And you can get a great doll accessory kit at Walmart that I think has a comb or brush, a couple tiny diapers, and a couple of those disappearing bottles. When they get toted everywhere, it's just not worth spending the big bucks on that stuff. I wonder how many babydoll bottles are under couches and car seats right now?!

Annie said...

Sounds like you are doing well for all she has been through recently..thinking of you as you continue to settle in.

Laurie said...

So glad things are going well. So I have to ask...is the poop as bad as you thought it might be? Leaking through the night and stuff?